Be Hospitable- Don't Be Afraid...


Romans 12:12 & 13-
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need.
Practice hospitality.


In our last Sunday morning bible class we talked about Hospitality from the view point of being a disciple of Jesus and wanting to disciple people for Jesus. What we heard and what we know to be true about how people feel is that we are just not good at it anymore. We have a host of reasons why.
Some thoughts about being hospitable that hold us back:

My house is too small -people will think it is not nice enough.
We all have this terrible pressure of thinking and knowing that our house does not measure up to a lot of friend's houses and especially to Pinterest houses. I say- who cares! EVERYONE feels this way. I don't care if you have the most beautiful house in the town you live in.

Well- there are a few who feel their house is awesome I am sure, but really- most people are a little insecure about how their house decorating or their furniture, etc. looks. What I have found is that no one cares about your house looking like Pinterest. People love to come to a house where they see that these people and this house is  loved in and lived in just like our house is. We are so afraid that everyone will assess what is on the walls or not on the walls or the food we fix. Truth is, no really brings their white gloves to check for dust.

Hospitality and having people over is so rare these days that people are just thrilled and honored that you are asking them over and giving your time to be together.


It's too much work. My house is too messy. It's too expensive.
I used to obsess over the little things. I felt I had to make sure the floors were perfectly clean before company or having someone over that you could eat off of them. I had to make sure that the meal was so special that I usually flubbed up the food trying to do something exotic or new.  I was so uptight about being perfect that I stressed everyone out before the occasion.

Just pick up the rooms the company will be in. Be clean enough to be healthy. Have something normal to eat. Not fancy. If you can't get it all clean, close doors and tell your company, "If you want to see the real me behind that closed door, have at it!" Smile. They will understand. We all are about the same. Relax. Spread the news that other people can feel comfortable in your home and that they can take a clue from you that it all does not have to be perfect.

Be real. We need more real women. I am not saying that you should be lazy or unclean. Develop a plan for house cleaning and stick with it. That way things don't get out of hand. Google (Fly Lady). She has basic plans to help us have a routine to keep clutter and mess in line.

My baby is fussy -my kids are loud.Then have over other couples with fussy and loud kids. Your kids will love the memories of time together with friends in your home. Older people love kids and babies too. :)
We will even bring lots of food if you ask. :)

I can’t cook that well -it has to be some extravagant meal- TOO much pressure.
Then have a pot luck. Have everyone bring one item. Here is another idea- have everyone pick up food from a drive through and bring it and sit around your table and fellowship! Order pizza. Buy ice cream and toppings and call it dessert. Just make something easy. We all love easy. We are not picky.

We’re just too busy- there is not enough time! 
True. Our schedules are cram packed. As Bob Goff says- every Thursday quit something. Ha! That makes me laugh but it is not a bad idea. We fill our lives with SO much.

Anyway, here is the thing. We all eat three times a day. Right? We are eating anyway. Right? Just make one of those meals at home, around your table with friends or people you want to be your friends. You will not regret it.

It’s not my gift -It's not my gift. It's NOT MY GIFT.
That might be true. I can pound you on this one because it was not my gift either. This trait of being hospitable can be learned. If I had my way I would be a hermit. Really. God has lead me into a life of fellowship out of a life of just being comfortable and selfish. Being comfortable and selfish come naturally to me. Yes, but as a disciple of God we are called to be in the messy of people's lives.

We are called to walk shoulder to shoulder with people on this road to heaven. I realized that I would not be able to take many with me if I stayed in my comfort zone and in my safe, selfish attitude.  Being hospitable might not be your gift but we are called to do it. Blessings will abound in ways you can never imagine when you follow this plan of God. It might not be your gift but it will be your blessing.

So...just to make you feel better and normal...my laundry room this morning...
I will have these clothes cleaned by the weekend but there will be more. There always is. :)
So, it will look about like this on Sat. too, probably.

Love these scriptures:
Hebrews 13:2
Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

1 Peter 4:8-11
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

This just might be a door that I close and don't worry about. I'm ok with that.

Hey- I would worry about you if you had a room like this. Most of us are not hoarders though.
You will need more than the Fly Lady for this problem. :)
So, don't be afraid to be hospitable. Just give it a try. I think you will love having people in your home. Just work on having the mindset of being a blessing to people.  Ask God to give you the courage and to put people on your heart and mind that would love your hospitality, your food, your semi clean house and your fellowship.
You are gonna love being hospitable. One more thing-
Think of these times of fellowship as an opportunity to go before God together. Pray together. Not just for your food. For your lives.
Prayer changes everything. It changes our hearts and the direction of our lives. Prayer and accountability with friends helps us to be focused on Jesus and walking like Him.
Let's be intentional about hospitality and prayer.
Walk shoulder to shoulder.

Remember:
Blessings! Amy

Comments

Wa Wa Waughs said…
Amen! Being hospitable to me has grown easier as my children have grown and having their friends that drop in whenever has helped me get over how everything looks! When I cook a meal it's usually a few basic things and maybe I try to do one special dish, whether it's the main dish or dessert - not so hard.
Becky W said…
I LOVE this!!!! Thank you for sharing! I always want to be a hospitable person and this just encourages me so much!
I soooooooooooo agree...open our doors, bring people in...love on them and have fellowship. It is worth all the effort.
I love your header..it is just great and thanks for a very encouraging piece and nudge for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Red Velvet Trifle...

Mom's Apricot Cobbler...

Camp Blue Haven-2012