Hollis, Velma, Gerald and Burl McCoy...
1 Cor. 15:55-58 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.
“Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?”
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
So, this morning...I want to talk about something else. It is not all that different from the thoughts above in that how we love and raise our children for the Lord will help to combat such hatred and wrong thinking. The only thing worth thinking about and spending our time on is living out our lives in devotion to the One who saved our lives and keeps saving us every day. Jesus.
My beautiful Mama and sweet brother Brad...
I love this picture. My Mom and Dad knew that teaching us to love the Lord was the most important thing that they could do for us. I am thankful.
When we lived in Ft. Worth a sweet lady at the church we went to blessed us with this list of intentional ways to bless your children and point them to the Lord. This list has blessed me.(Thank you Susy Jeffery)
I pray it will bless you too.
Raising Kingdom Children Intentionally:
1. Be intentional...you are not going to accidentally wind up with children that love the Lord.
2. Let them know that God has a plan for their lives!
3. Frame the pictures in your home with scriptures, especially your children's pictures. Have them pick out their favorite scripture and paint it over their doorway in their bedroom.
4. Have a plan to meet together in heaven!
5. Take family mission trips.
6. What do you want your children to look like spiritually when they get to your age? Have a plan to get them there.
7. Commit your family formally to God. Pray out loud for your children, committing them to God over and over throughout their lives.
8. Celebrate their baptism. Have a reception inviting their close friends and relatives and other people that love them. Video tape the special event.
9. Surround them with spiritual mentors. You help them pick their hero's by the people that you love and have in your home. You help them pick their mentors by the way you talk about people. Let them know who you love and respect.
10. Pray specifically. Let them hear you pray powerful prayers full of great expectation for them, and tell them they are leaders!
11. Set high and lofty spiritual goals for their lives.
12. Call attention early to their ability to influence others.
13. Have the courage to want more for your children than the "American Dream". Do you want them to just be another set of headlights? Be willing to go against the norm!
14. Model a life of contentment before your children.
15. Keep a family journal. Write stories of God's faithfulness to your family. What has He done for you? How has He saved you? How has He blessed you?
16. Make your times in the car prayer times. Make driving a prayer journal. Pray for the Lord to put you in the path of someone who needs to know about Him today.
17. Teach their classes. Do some type of ministry together. Don't wait until later! They grow up so fast.
18. Enjoy praise music at home and in your car. God loves the praise of His people!
19. Talk about each other's prayer needs. Pray that God will use each of you for great things in His kingdom.
20. Share worship together. Have family vacations that are not just pleasure but service. Plan them carefully. Be intentional.
21. Share laughter!!
22. Demonstrate daily Bible principles in your home. Set the example that your children need to be in the Word of God by being in it yourself. Our words influence greatly, but our actions influence even more.
23. Pray daily for yourself for God to give you peace, grace and discernment to parent the children that He as given you for His purposes in His Kingdom.
We are Kingdom people. We are not at home here. We are pilgrims on our way home! We are about living for our Lord and King and participating in raising His army for the next generation!
Blessings on your day! Amy