Good morning! I just finished a good batch of Water Kefir and thought I would share the love! You can buy Water Kefir grains at most health food stores in the fridge section. Follow the directions on how to hydrate your grains. It is easy!
Recipe is at the bottom of this blog post:
Now, for the next 48 hours, enjoy life!! Watch the sun set.
(We are watching closely for the first signs of Autumn!)
Strain the water kefir through a plastic strainer.
The raisins will float out first.
Put the kefir/water back into the jar and add what ever kind of juice you want to add to the large jar. We used pineapple this week. (Grape is our favorite!) You can also just add a few pieces of ginger or nothing at all. By the way, your kefir grains are alive and will grow. They should slowly multiply and then you can share them with friends. :)
Put the lid on the jar and let this sit on the counter top for 24 hours.
14 cups Spring Water
1 Cup white Sugar
2/3 Cup Kefir grains
20 raisins or 2 unsulphered apricots
32 oz. organic juice or 4 pieces of peeled ginger
Dissolve sugar in the water. (always stirring with a wooden spoon. Never use metal around the kefir grains.) Add grains and dried fruit. Cover the grains and fruit mixture with muslin cloth or cheese cloth or a coffee filter and set at room temperature for 48 hours. Strain grains and fruit. (Store grains for later/next batch use.)
Mix kefir water and juice (or you can just use the kefir water alone) – funnel kefir water into glass bottles, tightly cap. Set at room temperature for 24-32 hours. Store in refrigerator after last fermentation.
*To store grains in between making water kefir: in a quart jar fill half way with spring water and add 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir until the water is clear. Add the kefir grains and cover with muslin or a coffee filter and rubber band and store in fridge.
*AGAIN- do not use metal spoons or anything metal with the kefir grains.
These grains if used at least once every two weeks to a month will last for years.
Happy Water Kefir making!
Benefits of drinking water kefir and using it on your skin
Drinking Water Kefir can help you to achieve your optimal health, strengthen your immune system, and help to prevent diseases of all kinds. Most importantly, it restores good digestion - the key to health and longevity. When your body is out of balance, unfriendly opportunistic bacteria and yeasts can take over - producing irritable and bad digestion, food allergies, headaches, flu, skin rashes, and other more serious disorders. Water kefir is something you and your family can drink and use on your skin every day.
• Inhibits the growth of unfriendly bacteria and yeasts, and helps beneficial probiotic microorganisms to colonise and thrive in your digestive tract, and throughout the test of the body (skin, eyes, bladder, vagina, nose, throat, etc).
• Contributes to a healthy immune system.
• Reduces inflammation.
• Helps with the digestion of food and micronutrients. The KEY for health and longevity is good digestion, and a balance of good bacteria are the essential starting point.
• Heals, or reduces the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome IBS) including bloating, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, low energy, muscle aches and pains.
• Heals intestinal dysbiosis and SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth).
• Increased energy and overall feeling of good health.
• Can stop unhealthy food cravings, especially for sugars and sweet foods.
• Skin complexion and overall condition improves. Brown liver spots / age spots can fade, as can skin tags, moles, warts etc. It can ease or cure many skin conditions, such as psoriasis, eczema and acne.
• Hair and nails look healthier, and are strengthened and improved.
• Liver cleansing, as in traditional Chinese medicine, thus easing aches and joint pains, and benefiting the eyes.
• Glandular ( endocrine) system (adrenals, thyroid, pituitary, ovaries) benefits. Women have healthier periods, some women have periods start again after early menopause.