Water Kefir Goodness...
Hey friends! Several people have asked that I share this water kefir recipe lately so here is an updated post about making kefir. Questions are welcome.
Good morning! I just finished a batch of Water Kefir and thought I would share the goodness! You can buy Water Kefir grains at most health food stores in the refrigerated section.
Follow the directions on how to hydrate your grains. It is easy!
Recipe and kefir health benefits are listed at the end of this blog post:
It takes 3 days to make a batch of water kefir.
Start with a large glass jar and spring water...
Add kefir grains to the sugar water...
Then add organic raisins or apricots.
Now, for the next 48 hours, enjoy life!! Watch the sun set.
(We are watching closely for the first signs of Autumn!) Come on fall!!
Pour and strain the water kefir through a plastic strainer into a large bowl.
The raisins will float out first. Throw them away.
Then the kefir...
Put the kefir grains back into the jar with sugar water. (Your kefir grains are alive and will grow. They should slowly multiply and then you can share them with friends.)
Pour your water kefir back into the large glass jar and add juice. (Grape is our favorite!)
Pour your water kefir/juice mixture into solid glass beer bottles that have swing tops on them. Let the bottled kefir sit on your kitchen cabinet for 24 hours. When 24 hours are up put bottles into the fridge and cool. Your kefir is now ready to drink and enjoy.
Link for bottles on Amazon:
Water Kefir/Kombucha bottles
14 cups Spring Water
1 Cup white Sugar
2/3 Cup Kefir grains
20 raisins or 2 unsulphered apricots
32 oz. organic juice or 4 pieces of peeled ginger
Dissolve sugar in the water. (always stirring with a wooden spoon. Never use metal around the kefir grains.) Add grains and dried fruit. Cover the grains and fruit mixture with muslin cloth or cheese cloth or a coffee filter and set at room temperature for 48 hours. After 48 hours strain grains and fruit. Throw away fruit and store grains for later/next batch use.
Mix kefir water and juice (or you can just use the kefir water alone) – funnel kefir water into glass bottles, tightly cap. Set at room temperature for 24-32 hours. Store in refrigerator after last fermentation.
*To store grains in between making water kefir: in a quart jar fill half way with spring water and add 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir until the water is clear. Add the kefir grains and cover with muslin or a coffee filter and rubber band and store in fridge.
*AGAIN- do not use metal spoons or anything metal with the kefir grains.
These grains if used at least once every two weeks will last for years.
Happy Water Kefir making!
Benefits of drinking water kefir
Drinking Water Kefir can help you to achieve your optimal health, and it restores good digestion - the key to health and longevity. When your body is out of balance, unfriendly opportunistic bacteria and yeasts can take over - producing irritable and bad digestion, food allergies, headaches, flu, skin rashes, and other more serious disorders. Water kefir is something you and your family can drink and use on your skin every day.
Water Kefir benefits:
Water Kefir benefits:
• Inhibits the growth of unfriendly bacteria and yeasts, and helps beneficial pro biotic microorganisms to colonize and thrive in your digestive tract, and throughout the test of the body (skin, eyes, bladder, vagina, nose, throat, etc).
• Contributes to a healthy immune system.
• Reduces inflammation.
• Helps with the digestion of food and micro nutrients. The KEY for health and longevity is good digestion, and a balance of good bacteria are the essential starting point.
• Reduces the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome IBS) including bloating, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, low energy, muscle aches and pains.
• Heals intestinal dysbiosis and SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth).
• Increased energy and overall feeling of good health.
• Can stop unhealthy food cravings, especially for sugars and sweet foods.
• Hair and nails look healthier, and are strengthened and improved.
• Liver cleansing, as in traditional Chinese medicine, thus easing aches and joint pains, and benefiting the eyes.