Zucchini & Yellow Squash Casserole....Yum...

I am not really a fan of watching much TV. I like the HGTV shows and could become addicted to seeing makeovers of homes on that channel, but avoid watching too much for fear of giving in to my couch potato leanings. Anyway...Wes LOVES cooking shows and records them and comes home after school and watches them. Interesting. I was walking through the room a week or so ago and the Kitchen Boss was making this dish...we wrote it down and made it. WOW it is good!
Wes will even eat squash prepared this way and it is easy.
(He insists that he has to have Italian blood in him.)

Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole by Buddy Valestro
INGREDIENTS
2 each medium zucchini and yellow squash, approximately 2 pounds
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sun dried tomato pesto
1 Tablespoon chopped oregano
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1/4 cup good olive oil
1‑2 large shallots, thinly sliced lengthwise, (I just use regular onions.)
1 cup Buddy's Breadcrumbs or bought and crunched up bread crumbs
1‑1/2 cups shredded Fontal or Cheddar Cheese
PREPARATION:

1.Preheat oven to 400°. Thinly slice (less than 1/4") the zucchini and yellow squash into circles. Toss squashes with salt and let sit in colander to drain 15 minutes. Pat dry.
2.In a large bowl, stir together the pesto, herbs, olive oil and shallots. Add the squash and combine all well. Pour into an 8" x 12 1/2" shallow baking dish (or similar capacity). Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.
3.In the same bowl you used to toss the squash, and without wiping out, toss the breadcrumbs and cheese together, absorbing the oil left in the bowl.
4.Remove the foil from the squash and top with the crumb/cheese mixture. Bake and additional 20 minutes, uncovered. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy.
I made ours a little different last night. In a skillet instead of in the oven. Worked just fine.
It is so beautiful outside today. Little cold front came through and everything seems crisp and clean and lovely.
This squirrel is having fun running around our front yard.

Wes is even more into the Cake Boss. I have to admit that he makes cakes that just seem impossible to make.
Unbelievable the talent that God has given to people.

I love this quote:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Albert Einstein


We all have beautiful gifts that God has given us. We have to find out what they are even if they are not real obvious and use them for the glory of God. I tell our boys all of the time not to walk another person's path. Look for your own. You are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Psalm 139:13-17
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts,God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.

Romans 12:6-8
We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

Blessings. Amy

Comments

TexWisGirl said…
Can't say I enjoy cooking shows of any kind. But I have caught a few episodes of cake boss - too much pressure! :)

Your squirrel shots are cute! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Red Velvet Trifle...

Mom's Apricot Cobbler...

Camp Blue Haven-2012